A February Meeting Recap by Allison Reynolds, Broadway Palm Dinner Theatre
February 20, 2003
At Orangetree Golf Resort
What You Missed
"The Titanium Rolodex"
with Katherine "Kat" Krauss, MSW
Pro-Speak, Tucson, Arizona
"Of course it's hard... it's supposed to be hard! If it weren't hard, everybody'd be doing it. The hard's what makes it great." ( Tom Hanks in A League of Their Own).
This is one of the quotes with which "Kat" Krauss began her high-energy presentation at the HSMAI meeting on Thursday, Feb. 20, 2003. The luncheon meeting was held at the Orangetree Golf Resort from 11:00am - 1:30pm; approximately 70 people attended the meeting.
Kat offered us a compliment by saying that sales people were some of the most exciting! Her overall presentation was entitled "The Titanium Rolodex" and she suggested that to be successful, one must be surrounded with the best people and let the rest go... her fun and insightful stories illustrated her points superbly. For example, a poignant tale of a friend on the brink of death with ovarian cancer that told her: "you don't have time for negative thinking." Another hilarious anecdote was told about herself when she fell, practically naked out of a bathroom stall with only nylons at her feet. The cleaning lady leaned down and asked her "you okay?" Turns out that the cleaning lady's son was a cab driver and now Kat has a secure ride everytime she visits that city! This story taught her to think horizontally and to shun no one.
Other key ideas:
- Create a small cadre of people you can count on, no matter what!
- You don't have time for negative thinking!
- Hold a mirror to yourself... and laugh!
- Shun no one - think horizontally in terms of people and their positions
- Be brutally honest... . Always
- Remember that people do things for their reasons, not yours
- Get to know yourself; take a personality test
- Acknowledge your strengths/ weaknesses and determine your relationship needs
- Make sure relationships are reciprocal - do things spontaneously to help others
- The titanium rolodex is your cadre of people you can count on, no matter what!
- Be one of these people that others can count on; network!
- Attitude is everything! Have the best time!
Special thanks to the Pam Patterson and Rich Bardon from the Orangetree Golf Resort for hosting our meeting, Bill Johnson for donating his LCD projector and to Trish Owen and Summerfield Suites by Wyndham for hosting our NAU students. Our raffle donors were Ranger Resources, Royal Palms Hotel & Casitas, Jillian's Desert Ridge, Renaissance Parc 55 Hotel, Embassy Suites Hotel Phoenix/Scottsdale, Aji Spa at the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort & Spa, Hyatt Regency Gainey Ranch, HSMAI Communications Committee and the Broadway Palm Dinner Theatre.